Frequently Asked Questions
IS KRAV MAGA SUITABLE FOR EVERYONE?
Yes! It doesn’t matter what age, size or level of fitness you’re at, Krav Maga caters for all! You’re likely to find (or bring!) some friends who you feel might match the level you’re at so that you can progress together.
DO YOU OFFER :
◦ CLASSES FOR WOMEN ONLY?
◦ PRIVATE TRAINING?
◦ KIDS CLASSES?
We offer private training. Just fill in our Private Training Request Form or give us a call and we can get you in touch with an instructor to discuss a suitable time.
We offer classes at our Bondi Junction gym for kids and teens aged from 9-12 and 13-17. Visit our Youth Program page for more info.
HOW CAN I START TRAINING?
All you need to do is hop onto our website kmdi.com.au, click on 'induction' and follow the instructions. We hold induction classes every Monday night at 7:30pm in Surry Hills and every second Tuesday at 7:30pm in Bondi Junction . This class is a great way to ease you into the training. You can even come into the gym twenty minutes or so before your class and sign up on the spot at reception!
CAN I TRAIN AT MULTIPLE KMDI GYMS?
We have 2 different types of membership: 1 that gives you unlimited access to a gym of your choice ($45/week), and 1 that allows you to train across all training locations (Bondi Junction and Surry Hills).
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?
You can wear whatever you are comfortable to train in! We sell shirts, singlets, hand wraps for wrist support, mouth guards and other forms of protection at our training venues.
DO YOU HAVE CHANGE ROOMS AND SHOWERS?
We have change rooms, bathrooms and showers in both our Surry Hills and Bondi Junction training locations.
WHAT WILL I DO IN A REGULAR KRAV MAGA CLASS?
Classes can involve a whole range of self defence techniques, from basic striking, to dealing with choke holds, knives, guns and batons - we will even teach you how to defend yourself against multiple attackers.
WHAT TYPE OF CLASSES DO YOU OFFER?
We have classes for all levels, from complete beginner to more advanced levels:
- Induction: Specifically designed for people who are trying Krav Maga for the first time; this class focuses on the basic techniques and concepts of Krav Maga. It will prepare you for joining our beginner’s classes.
- KRAV MAGA: Here you will build foundations in striking, fighting on the ground, release from common chokes and holds as well as defences against knives and sticks. After 4-6 months in the beginner’s class you can expect to test for Fighter Level 1.
- Advanced: Fighter Level 1 and above. Advanced Krav Maga training and techniques for graded students, taking Krav Maga to a higher level.
- K.M.C. (Krav Maga Combatives): Striking is the foundation of Krav Maga. In this class you will be working on your punches, kicks, elbows and knees. You can expect a serious workout while honing your fighting skills. This class is suitable for all levels including beginners.
- W.I.S.E. (Weapons In Street Environment): This class is dedicated to practicing fighting against an armed attacker within realistic drills and simulations. This may sound intimidating, but it is a class that is suitable for all levels including beginners. Each class starts with practice on a specific threat and progresses into a live simulation drill.
Fight Club: This is a fighting class dedicated to full contact sparring with unique Krav Maga elements, scenarios and settings.
- Fight Fit: This is a functional fitness class inspired by training methods used to train fighters in the army. Some of the toys we use include battle ropes, box jumps, sledge hammers, tractor tires. This class is suitable for all levels. Beginners welcome.
She Fights Back: A strictly womens only class modelled off our hugely successful SFB Workshop program. Learn the importance of situational awareness, de-escalation techniques, and the fundamental fighting techniques to use against a larger attacker.
You can find more information here.
I DID SOME MARTIAL ARTS PREVIOUSLY, DO I HAVE TO START TRAINING AT A BEGINNERS LEVEL?
Krav Maga is unlike any other martial arts, so you will need to start at the beginners level to get a feel for it before moving up the ranks!
IS THERE A GRADING SYSTEM? HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE ME TO PROGRESS TO A HIGHER LEVEL?
Yes, from the beginners level, you can progress to Fighter 1, 2, 3 and 4. We hold gradings every 3 months or so.
- Beginners - Fighter 1: 3-4 months with regular training (minimum 25 classes)
- Fighter 1 - Fighter 2: 4-6 months with regular training (minimum 25 classes since previous grading)
- Fighter 2 - Fighter 3: 12 months since last grading with regular training
- Fighter 3 - Fighter 4: 12 months since last grading with regular training
- Fighter 4 - Fighter 5: 12 months since last grading with regular training